Trio of Broccoli Salads ~ Pick the one that tickles your taste buds!


Broccoli Floret Salad with Bacon, Cashews & Cranberries ~ I was inspired to make this broccoli salad when I was reading the vegetarian cookbook, Peas & Thank You.  I was feeling the broccoli vibe...but, also the bacon vibe.  There is something about broccoli & bacon, the two together are magical.  So, since I was looking for a recipe with bacon, I surfed around some food blogs & found this wonderful recipe.  I tweaked it a bit, using dried cranberries instead of raisins/red peppers (I was all out of raisins/peppers) & used regular jarred bacon bits (I can't have real bacon in the house, Roy is uncontrollable around bacon :). I cut the broccoli up into little florets & only let it sit for about 30 minutes. Roy & I both LOVED it!  Check out the recipe, over at the blog, Foodess.



'Cheesy' Broccoli Bowl ~ This is a vegan recipe made with nutritional yeast instead of cheese. It can be heated or served uncooked, as a 'raw food' dish.  It tasted good, but it doesn't really have a cheesy flavor, more of an oriental taste. Tasty enough to make again. The recipe is at the end of the post.






Simple Broccoli & Radish Salad ~ I was feeling a little 'crunchy' the day I made this salad.  I was missing Colorado ~ Boulder, Summit County, the mountains... So, I decided to make something like I would have ordered at one of my (long gone) favorite shops ~ Alfalfa's Market...who was bought out by Wild Oats Market...who got bought out by Whole Foods Market. (isn't that just the way it goes...little fish, getting eaten by bigger fish)  A little bit of chopping, shaking, tossing and.... Ahh, tastes just like the deli counter back home.  Crunch, crunch.  heehee  :)


Simply Perfect Broccoli & Radish Salad
serves 2

2 cups     broccoli, cut into small florets
1 cup       thin sliced celery
1 bunch   radishes, sliced
1/3 cup    chopped parsley

basic salad dressing  (double if you like more dressing)
2 Tbsp      olive oil  
1 Tbsp      cider vinegar
1 Tbsp      water
1 tsp         lemon juice
~               salt & pepper, to taste
~               your favorite spice blend, to taste

1)   toss first 4 ingredients in a large bowl

2)   place olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, water & salt/pepper/spice blend
      in a jar w/lid ~ shake until well blended

3)   pour dressing over veggies & toss all together, check for seasoning
      & adjust as necessary

Enjoy!

    
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...