Waste Not, Want Not

When I was growing up, my Grandma Bunni would never let anything go to waste. She was the Queen of ~
         
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

For better or worse, I too, have that philosophy.  I just hate to waste things, or food, that can still be of use.  When I got a juicer earlier this year, I was so excited, there is just something so right about a  glass of homemade fresh juice. Here are some pictures of one of my play dates with my juicer...

3/25 ~ I appear to be channeling my inner California girl, I am on a fresh food kick right now. I got a great deal on juice oranges, so out came the juicer. Fresh OJ, so frothy it tastes like an Orange Julius if you drink it right away. J REALLY likes it. We then made carrot juice. He was resistant at first, then came around. His favorite was adding banana & orange, together in the chute, for his own concoction. I am making Juicer Pulp Spiced Carrot Cake with the leftover pulp right now. Sunshine has this happy effect on me. I need more of it. The weather today made me feel like I was back home in Cali. :)

 
Oh, the drinks I made those first days. I was a fiend, feeding fruits & veggies into the chute with a vengeance.  Even J got into the act, he loved shoving apples/oranges into it & watching them disappear.  Fresh juice abounded...as well as a small large, growing, mound of pulp.  All those good vitamins & fiber just couldn't be thrown out, they were just begging to be used.   What to do with all the carrot & fruit pulp that was left behind?  I surfed around the net for a bit & found the perfect recipe. Like I've said before, I am a challenged baker, but this bundt cake turned out SO GOOD! It is now  my 'Go To' recipe whenever I have pulp left over from a juicing binge!  

3/25 ~ Juicer Pulp Spiced Carrot Cake - Made with carrot pulp from this afternoons juicing - I added flake coconut, raisins & lots of spices - It smells DIVINE! Hot out of the oven, 12:30am - Midnight snack anyone?? :) - For the recipe see the post from yardenxanthe 3/25/04 - http://discuss.gromco.com/snl/tz40485.html#442435



Here is my recipe, inspired by the post from yardenxanthe. Mine has applesauce replacing some of the oil, more spices & the addition of raisins & coconut. These also make great muffins!


Juicer Pulp Spiced Carrot Cake

5 to 8 carrots, or enough to produce 1-1/2 cups carrot pulp and 1/2 cup carrot juice
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional)
3/4 cup raisins
2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

Directions
:
Preheat Oven to 350

Process carrots in juice extractor to produce pulp and carrot juice.


Mix flour, baking powder, spices and salt together and set aside. Toss raisins in a little of the flour mixture, coat thoroughly and set aside.  Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, applesauce and oil in medium bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with pulp and carrot juice. Add chopped nuts, coconut & raisins; stir to combine. Pour into well-greased bundt pan; bake 35-40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.


Let cake cool a few minutes, than turn out to cool on a cake rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

 

So, the next time you have an abundance of carrot pulp, give that recipe a try. The secret ingredient will be our little secret.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...