|Pan Fried Italian Bread Crumb Cod ~ a quick & flavorful way to cook fish. Using Pam cooking spray & just a little oil help to keep it low fat.|
One of my favorite ways to cook fish is also one of the easiest. I like to dredge fish in bread crumbs ~ Italian Spiced or Plain ~ (depending on my mood) and pan fry it in a little oil. We always enjoy it & it's a quick meal to get on the table. That's always a plus when you have hungry boys to feed! While the fish is cooking, I'll steam some veggies & in about 20 minutes dinner is ready. Almost quicker than takeout, too bad about the washing up though... heehee :)
Pan Fried Italian Bread Crumb Cod
- nice sized cod fillets, about 6 oz. each ~ as many as needed to feed your hungry crew ~ try to get them of equal width/thickness so they will all be done at the same time
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Italian Spiced bread crumbs ~ depends on how many fillets you are making, start will the smaller amount & add more bread crumbs if necessary (I hate to waste stuff :)
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup cup milk, or maybe a bit more, depends on how many fillets you are making (for briefly soaking the cod in ~ optional)
- your favorite spices/herbs/blends, some I like to use ~ onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, basil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- cooking oil & Pam cooking spray
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray ~ optional
When the fish is almost done soaking, heat up your skillet over a medium-hot heat. Add Pam cooking spray & a little cooking oil just before adding the fish, you want the oil good & hot, but not so hot that it burns the coating on the fish. I like to use both Pam & cooking oil, so that way I'm sure the fish won't stick. Roll the oil around the pan before adding the fish, so you have good oil coverage.
Place the Italian Spiced bread crumbs in a flat bottomed container. After 10 minutes, take the fish out of the milk & let some of the milk drip off & then dredge the fish in the bread crumbs, get both sides so it's completely covered in bread crumbs. Sprinkle a little spice(s) on both sides ~ if desired. (The beauty of using the Italian Spiced bread crumbs is that it's tasty enough to just use as is, no additional spices/salt are necessary. It saves you from having to spice up the fish if you are in a hurry or are just feeling a bit uninspired to play around with your spices :)
Add the bread crumb covered fish to the hot skillet & depending on the thickness of your fish, it usually takes about 5 minutes per side ~ or about 10 minutes total for both sides. Shake the pan a little bit to help loosen the fish before flipping, that will help the coating to stick to the fish & not the pan. :)
Fish will be opaque when done. Depending on how hot your skillet is & how thick your fillet is, it may take more or less time. If you are not familiar, with cooking fish, or want a refresher course ~ go here ~ to learn the basics. :)
When fish is cooked all the way through, remove to a plate & spray with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray ~ optional. Serve the cod with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!