World's Best Porridge ~ Oatmeal never tasted so good!


This morning I was feeling like some oatmeal for breakfast, or porridge, as I like to call it.  I'm the sort of gal who usually likes to eat her oatmeal raw, over yogurt ~ so you can guess that when I eat my oats hot, I prefer them on the chewy side, too.  Actually, we all do.

I came up with this recipe for the World's Best Porridge over time, making it this way & that, until it came out perfect.  (I felt a bit like Goldilock's when I was trying to come up with just the right texture/taste for the porridge)  Roy has oats every morning & since he is up before me, I make his oatmeal/porridge the night before.  I like to use vanilla soymilk for the creaminess & flavor it provides, as well as keeping it vegetarian/vegan.  When Roy lived in England, he ate his porridge with milk & sugar.  Nowadays, he likes his porridge with honey & extra soymilk.  ~ The times, they are a-changin' ~  heehee

Since I'm making his breakfast before I go to bed, I use the microwave.  Five minutes of tending & I've got the perfect bowl of oats.  But, you can make it in the morning & eat it right away ~ just try not to wake me up.  :)

Another real~time meal from my kitchen.  Enjoy!

World's Best Porridge ~ Chewy Breakfast Oatmeal
serves 1 ~ 2


1/2 cup       old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup           vanilla soymilk, light*
1 tsp            cinnamon
2 tblsp         raisins (or your favorite dried fruit)

1/2 cup        quick oatmeal


* heads up ~ if you use regular milk or water, it will cook at a different rate
   than with the soymilk, you will need to watch & adjust the cooking time
   accordingly

optional toppings: 

2 tblsp           chopped walnuts (or your favorite kind)
1 tblsp           ground flax seeds
1 tblsp           favorite healthy margarine
2 tblsp           nut butter (stir in after the oats are finished cooking)
~                     honey, to taste
~                     any other items you can think of, get creative   :)
~                    extra soymilk for pouring over oats (when serving)


**  Make sure you keep an eye on the oats when they are cooking,
      just to make sure they do not boil over the sides of your bowl.
     Once you get the hang of it, you will know how your bowl/ingredients
     /microwave act together when cooking the oatmeal/porridge.  **  

I cook the oats/stir the oats in approx. one minute increments to keep it from boiling over in the microwave.  Your times may vary due to differences in microwaves.  


1)     place first 4 ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl with
        cover, cook for 1 minute, on high, & then stir

2)     cook for another minute & then stir

3)     cook for 30 seconds, stir & then add in the additional  1/2 cup quick oats
         ~ cook for an additional minute

4)      give it all a good stir, add in any additional toppings ~ if desired

Enjoy!   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...