|Banana Pudding with Creamy Banana Rum Sauce|
Since we are well into the Mardi Gras celebration, I thought it would be fun to make a few Southern style dishes. Today I made my Banana Pudding with Creamy Banana Rum Sauce. A quick dessert that we all love.
Now, you might not think of banana pudding & Mardi Gras as going together, but together they belong. Banana pudding is a homestyle, Southern family favorite from way back. I didn't have the time, nor the inclination, to make a pudding from scratch. We just decided to have a little something after dinner & this quick dessert was just perfect. I had a banana that was begging to be used & a box of Instant Banana Cream Pudding mix. Bingo! The warm Creamy Banana Rum Sauce gives the box pudding such a depth of flavor that you'll forget its humble beginnings.
By the time the Creamy Banana Rum Sauce is done cooking, the pudding should be set up enough to serve. This takes me about 15 minutes to make. Serve up some Creole coffee & life is good.
~~~ ~~~ Laissez les bon temps rouler! ~~~ ~~~
Banana Pudding & Creamy Banana Rum Sauceserves 2-4
~ for the pudding
1 small box Instant Banana Cream Pudding Mix
2 cups milk
~ for the banana rum sauce
1 large really ripe banana, sliced
1 tbsp rum
2 tsp butter
2 tsp sugar
~ for the topping
- favorite crumbled cookies
- whipped cream
1) Follow directions on pudding box & put pudding in fridge to set up when completed
2) While the pudding is setting up, make the banana rum sauce
3) Put banana, butter, rum & sugar in pan, cook over medium heat for approx. 10 minutes
4) Once banana starts to break down & the sauce begins to bubble merrily, it's ready
5) Spoon pudding into dish & top with Banana Rum Sauce, crumbled cookies & whipped cream
6) Serve with some New Orleans style coffee with chicory or my favorite ~ Creole Coffee