Vegetarian Haggis~ A twist on a traditional Scottish dish ~ Happy Robbie Burns Day!

Vegetarian Haggis with Neeps & Tatties ~ This was such an enjoyable meal.  I will definitely make it again, the 'meat' mixture would be very versatile in other dishes. Neeps are mashed turnips, usually with carrots & Tatties are mashed potatoes.  This recipe is a tasty one & is the one I made.  The recipe is about 1/2 way down the post.

Today is January 25th.  In Scotland, everyone is enjoying the sounds of bagpipes, eating haggis, drinking whiskey & general merry making.  Why you ask?  Well, they are celebrating the birthday of their famous poet, Robert Burns (1759-1796)  Happy Robbie Burns Day!

I have found that looking for celebrations to inspire my cooking has been pretty easy so far, January has had a lot to offer.  J is enjoying all the different things I have been making, some more than others, but that's OK.  He tries it all & that is the important thing.   :)

Since trying to find haggis in the Midwest is almost impossible, I thought I would cook a vegetarian haggis version so we could party with the rest of the Scots. It seems many people are now enjoying celebrating with a veggie version & why not - it tastes good & is easy to do.  I have eaten the real deal before and it is a very tasty dish.  If you can get past what is in it, then you will be in for a treat.  If you think about it, haggis is really no different than many other sausages or meat mixtures.  Just read the labels of some of them & you will see what I mean. 

I know a vegetarian haggis is not quite the same thing as a regular haggis, but my thoughts & heart are in the right place... and the right place is on my plate!

Eat Haggis & Ceilidh On!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...