|Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Italian Style ~ a quick and flavorful meal, full of rich Italian flavors, low carb, & depending on your choice of cheeses ~ low fat & low cal. Perfect for Meatless Monday!|
A word to the wise ~ make enough for seconds.
P.S. ~ Do it the first time around. It's so much quicker that way... about 20 minutes quicker. :)
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms ~ Italian Style
- big portobello mushrooms ~ cleaned & ready to go ~ As many as you like & may I suggest at least 2 per person. You might as well save yourself the time & trouble & go ahead & make a lot. It will save you having to start the second batch before you have even had the chance to finish your own 'shroom. (somehow the cook always starts eating last around here :) That way yours won't get cold & nobody will give you the stink eye. Not that that happens around here or anything... ;)
- your favorite jarred spaghetti sauce ~ or my favorite, the homemade ~ Tomato Chutney ~ I wrote about a few weeks ago
- cottage cheese ~ regular, low-fat or fat-free ~ whatever floats your boat
- cooked spinach ~ from fresh, frozen or canned, well drained
- your favorite herbs & spices ~ some I like to use: Italian herb blend, basil, onion/garlic powder, oregano, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper
- shredded pizza cheese ~ buy the pre-shredded bagged kind or grate some of your favorite cheese(s)
- Parmesan cheese ~ sprinkle liberally in, on & over the gloriously layered mushroom as you are assembling it & when serving it
|Look at all that lovely, flavorful juice the mushroom makes while it bakes. Anybody seen my fork?? :)|
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Prep your baking sheet or cast iron skillet with cooking spray and/or foil.
Place the cleaned mushrooms ~ gill side up ~ on your baking sheet/cast iron skillet.
Assemble the stuffed mushroom in layers, starting with:
- jarred spaghetti sauce or tomato chutney ~ spread to the edges of the mushroom
- sprinkle all over with your choice of herbs & spices
- cottage cheese ~ spread a good sized amount all over the sauce
- add a bit more sauce to the center of the mushroom & spread out about half way
- add the spinach in cool dollops or spread it around ~ as you like
- sprinkle a bit more herbs/spice ~ as you like
- top it all with the pizza cheese & Parmesan cheese ~ as much or as little as you like
Plate it up & pour any of the mushroom juices over the top & add additional cheeses ~ if desired.
** This would be such an easy recipe to change up, just vary the 'stuffing' fillings ~ some to consider...
~ for a Mexican Style version use: salsa, Mexican spices/cilantro, cottage cheese, spinach & some smashed chili beans ~ top with sliced avocado, jalapenos & crushed tortilla chips when serving
~ for a Greek Style version use: fresh chopped tomatoes tossed in olive oil (or Greek salad dressing) & Greek spices/oregano, thin sliced/chopped zucchini, spinach, olives, sliced onions, Greek Yogurt & feta cheese ~ sprinkle with a hint of mint when serving
|Join the Movement|