|Tropical Coconut Mango Breakfast Cookies, with optional white chocolate chips ~ With pineapple, macadamia nuts, coconut & mango ~ these breakfast cookies let you enjoy a taste of the islands in your own kitchen. :)|
I decided to try making a new Breakfast Cookie without using bananas, just for a change of pace. I thought pureed mangoes would work in a similar way as the mashed bananas & I'm happy to report they do! Summer is in full swing & I'm really jonesing for the beach, tropical climes & some Jimmy Buffet on the radio ~ so this Breakfast Cookies is my way of living on island time ~ in my Midwest kitchen. :)
|I love eating fresh mangoes!|
For those of you who are you're not a fan of bananas, this will be the cookie version for you. If you are a fan of bananas & not of mangoes ~ then make them that way instead...or maybe try it with 1/2 mango & 1/2 banana. Add the vanilla protein powder, or not ~ same goes for the coconut. Just go native, tweak this recipe as you see fit & make it your own. Happy sailing! Now, were did I put my Buffet CD's....
Tropical Coconut Mango Breakfast Cookies ~ with pineapple, macadamia nuts & optional white chocolate chipsmakes 12 large or 16 regular sized cookies
- 2/3 cup mango puree ~ from fresh or frozen (about 2 fresh mangoes) (*can exchange 2 mashed bananas for the pureed mangoes or use 1/3 cup mango puree & 1/3 cup mashed banana)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple ~ drained
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal ~ uncooked
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (I used the golden raisins for their light color in this recipe , it's OK to use regular dark raisins if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts ~ (OR ~ use chopped walnuts if you prefer)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder ~ (optional)
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut ~ (or sweetened, if you like that kind better or already have that in your pantry)
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, or to taste (optional ~ if you feel like splurging :)
- additional coconut flakes for sprinkling on top of the cookies ~ if desired
Preheat heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl mix ~ mango puree (and/or mashed bananas, if you are using those), applesauce, crushed pineapple, coconut extract, vanilla extract & cinnamon until well combined.
Stir in the dry ingredients ~ oatmeal, coconut flakes, raisins, macadamia nuts (or walnuts) & protein powder (if you're using) ~ combine until well blended. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
Drop cookie dough, by spoonfuls, onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet & flatten cookies into rounds or bars. Add white chocolate chips to top of breakfast cookies, if using, & press them into the dough (OR, just mix them in with the dry ingredients, see above). Sprinkle some additional coconut flakes on top, if desired.
Bake approx. 35 minutes, or until golden & done.