Kale Caesar Salad ~ All Hail the King of Salads!

Hail Caesar!   The King of Salads ~ for the Ides of March       ~Kale Caesar Salad~

Today is March 15th, also known as The Ides of March.   Caesar really should have paid more attention to that seer, don't you agree?  I always feel the need to make a Caesar Salad on the 15th & since I make a really good, basic Caesar Salad ~ starring kale instead of romaine ~ I thought I'd share the recipe. 

I don't know about you, but I believe kale is a superfood that has gotten a bad rap.  A lot of people don't think it is very tasty & say it's hard to use in recipes.  I've found it to be very versatile, either when cooked (steamed, braised, sauteed or simmered in soups) or eaten raw, in salads.  I always use the regular curly kale, since I can always find it at the market ~ but the Dinosaur Kale does sound interesting.  I'm up for giving that kind a try, if I ever find it at our local market.  Not sure if it is necessary, but I soak the curly kale for a couple of hours in ice water (so it gets really clean & crispy), spin it dry & then use it in recipes.  I've never had any problems using the regular curly kale that way, I think it must mellow it out.  I sometimes use garbanzo beans when making my Kale Caesar Salad, instead of croutons, to keep the salad low carb.

I love any kind of salad, but I really enjoy a good Caesar Salad.  Et tu, Brute?

Hail to the Kale! Caesar Salad
serves 1-2

5 cups           kale ~ soaked, spun dry & crisped in fridge
                      chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup         garbanzo beans ~ if you want the salad lower carb
                      or use croutons if you want it more traditional
2-3 tbsp        grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
~                    salt & pepper, to taste

Caesar Salad Dressing ~ adapted from Vegetarian Times recipe

4 tbsp            plain yogurt
1 tbsp            lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp     low fat mayo (I'll only use Hellman's/Best Foods)
1 tsp              Dijon mustard
1 tsp              Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp            grated Parmesan cheese  
2 tbsp            sardines, drained & mashed OR tuna, drained & mashed
                      (optional)                   
~                    black pepper, to taste  (I use a fair amount, I really like pepper)

1)     blend all ingredients for the Caesar dressing & set aside

2)     toss the chilled, chopped kale with the Caesar dressing & either the
         garbanzo beans or croutons (depending on which you are using)

3)     plate it up & sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the salad,
        salt & pepper to taste

                                                                 Enjoy!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...