Vegetarian Mock Fish Cakes ~ Meatless Monday

Vegetarian Mock Fish Cakes - Meatless Monday has never been so tasty!  I used a vegetarian 'Mock Tuna Salad' recipe as my base, tweaked it a little bit & turned it into Vegetarian Mock Fish Cakes. 

I've gotten on the Meatless Monday bandwagon.  These Vegetarian Mock Fish Cakes are a quick and tasty way to enjoy your Meatless Monday without feeling like you are missing out on a satisfying meal.  You can add a beaten egg if you like the texture a bit firmer. If you choose not to add a beaten egg, this dish would be Vegan Mock Fish Cakes.

We love any type of  fish cakes around here, so I thought I could tweak my basic recipe for salmon or crab cakes & turn it vegetarian.  It was a success!  I used the Mock Tuna Salad recipe from over at Happy Herbivore as my starting off point & then added a few things from my own fish cake recipe. 

To make these I add a few ingredients to the original salad ~ a little Dijon mustard, breadcrumbs, dill, smoked paprika & form the mixture into flat, round patties. I press the formed Mock Fish Cakes into more breadcrumbs & cook them in a skillet with a little EVOO, until golden.  We like to top them with a little sour cream, plain yogurt or buttermilk ranch dressing.  If you want your Mock Fish Cakes to be a bit firmer, add one beaten egg to the Mock Tuna Salad before forming the Mock Fish Cakes.  These become a ~ golden on the outside, savory on the inside ~ little bundle of YUM!

Tomato & Cucumber Salad with Vinaigrette
When I make any type of fish cake for dinner, I like to add a simple salad of Tomatoes & Cucumbers.  I'm fond of Red Wine Vinaigrette, but a Buttermilk Ranch Dressing would be good on this, too.  To round out the meal, I usually serve the Vegetarian Mock Fish Cakes with some rice & steamed veggies.
 
I have become a big fan of garbanzo/chickpeas.  They really give this dish a wonderful taste & texture.  I think I shall have to explore more ways to create meals using this savory, little bean.

Since this meal isn't heavy, we might splurge a bit on dessert.  Just because it's Meatless Monday, it doesn't mean you can't spoil yourself a little.   :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...