Making Friends With Tofu

Chipotle Grilled Tofu with Fresh Corn & Black Bean Salad ~ Turned out I had all the fixin's for a great salad. Love when that happens! :)

J & I really like tofu, Roy, not so much.  I usually use the extra firm tofu for cooking & firm silken tofu for dips or puddings.  I have found the secret to cooking with tofu is not to try to make it something it isn't.  It just doesn't have a real 'meaty' texture, so if I want a meatless 'meat' substitute, I'll use seitan.  That being said, dress up tofu with BBQ sauce or Teriyaki sauce & it makes a great meal, just not a meaty textured one. Enjoy tofu for what it is & savor the meal. 
Oven Roasted Portobello Mushroom, Red Pepper & Tofu ~ What is not to love when you get to eat a mushroom that is as big as a CD?
To cook extra firm tofu, I usually thin slice it, pan saute or grill it on my George Foreman Grill.  I'll  cut it into cubes & add to brothy soups.  It also makes a decent 'egg salad', just crumble, add some turmeric (to give it a yellow color) & then finish it just like your favorite egg salad recipe.  I also make a tasty tofu 'TLT' (a spin on a BLT) using the great Pork Chop Seasoning from Penzey's Spices to season the tofu. After posting these pictures, I've got a craving for tofu.  Now, I have to decide which one to make for dinner...   :) 
TLT (tofu, lettuce & tomato) Sandwich - Another big hit with both J & me. He begged for seconds. He wants me to make it for Roy... not holding my breath for the same response from daddy. Used my new spice mix from Penzeys, it gives the tofu a 'baconish' flavor. Excellent!! Go get some!
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysporkchop.html 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...