I always crave warm, chunky Chili Cheese Dip when I'm watching football games. Since the Superbowl is fast approaching, I decided to see if I could come up with a lower fat option of my old favorite. I was looking for a satisfying dip that was vegetarian so it could do double duty as a Meatless Monday side dish, too.
While tinkering in the kitchen, I came up with the following recipe ~ Vegetarian Low Fat Cheesy Chili Bean Dip. Pumpkin puree helps to replace some of the cheese sauce, keeping the dish low fat and also upping the fiber. Using chili beans in sauce instead of a can of beef chili keeps it vegetarian and mashing them slightly gives it a nice texture. Serve the dip with your favorite chips or along side a cheese quesadilla as a quick and super tasty snack. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Low Fat Cheesy Chili Bean Dip
makes a bowlful
- 1 can chili beans in sauce, slightly smashed
- 1/2 can Campbell's Condensed Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning (or more, to taste)
- optional toppings for garnishing ~ shredded cheese, fat free Greek yogurt/sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced black olives, etc.
In a pan, over medium heat, add first 5 ingredients together and stir well. Continue to heat until warmed throughout, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning in needed. Serve dip warm, with optional toppings if desired. Try it with your favorite chips or as a topping for cheese quesadillas.