I'm a huge fan of the Italian dish ~ Eggplant Parmesan. The only problem I have with the dish, is that it's often really high in fat calories since eggplant is notorious for soaking up oil while it's being cooked. To get around that little problem, I came up with a way to cook it that's much more healthy, figure friendly, quick & easy than the traditional method. I cook my Low Fat Eggplant Parmesan in a way that's similar to my recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes ~ I shared that recipe last week on Meatless Monday.
With so many beautiful, fresh eggplants now showing up at local Farmers Markets, I thought this would be a perfect time to share how I make this healthier spin of a classic summertime favorite. Buon Appetito! :)
Low Fat Eggplant Parmesanserves 2
- one medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 Tbsp Italian Style/Spiced bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
- smoked paprika (or regular) ~ for sprinkling on the eggplant slices before cooking
- onion powder ~ for sprinkling on the eggplant slices before cooking
- garlic powder ~ for sprinkling on the eggplant slices before cooking
- 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' Spray ~ for spraying on the eggplant slices before/after cooking
- Pam, butter flavored or regular
- salt & pepper, to taste
- your favorite Italian Marinara Sauce
- your favorite Parmesan Cheese sprinkled over the dish when serving
- fresh (or dried) basil for sprinkling over the dish when serving ~ optional
- crushed red pepper flakes for sprinkling over the dish when serving ~ optional
Heat your favorite Italian Marinara Sauce (I love Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Marinara) in a pan & keep warm while you are prepping/cooking the eggplant.
Spread Italian bread crumbs in bottom of a plate for dredging the eggplant slices in. Take the eggplant slices, dip each one in water, shake it off & then dredge both sides in the Italian bread crumbs. Sprinkle one side with the smoked paprika/onion powder/garlic powder & then spray with 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' Spray.
Heat skillet large enough to cook the eggplant in, over medium heat.
When the eggplant slices are ready, spray the skillet with Pam & lay the eggplant slices in a single layer, with the paprika/onion/garlic powder sprinkled side down, so that side cooks first. Cook for approx. 3-4 minutes. While the first side is cooking, sprinkle the top side of the eggplant with paprika/onion/garlic powder & spray with ICBINB Spray. When the 3-4 minutes are over for the first side, flip & cook the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the eggplant slices are golden & cooked through. Give the cooked eggplant a final spray of ICBINB Spray, right before taking out of the skillet.
Serve the cooked eggplant with the Marinara Sauce spooned over the top of the slices. Sprinkle the whole thing with Parmesan cheese. Salt/pepper, to taste. Add some fresh basil & crushed red pepper flakes ~ if desired.
* A side dish of your favorite pasta goes perfect with this meal. :)