Homemade Seitan Sausages ~ Meatless Monday

Homemade Vegetarian Hot Dog ~ made from seitan


When I first started taking food pictures last year, I was learning how to make the vegetarian meat substitute ~ seitan.  I learned how to made it into 'cutlets' (by simmering it in broth) & I also made it into 'sausages' (by steaming it).  I've already shared photos on how I turned some of the seitan sausages into the dish Dublin Coddle & into the favorite Southern dish, Red Beans & Rice.  I also made it into a few more dishes ~ so here are the rest of photos from that first batch of seitan sausages.  They would be perfect for a Meatless Monday meal.

The basic recipe for the seitan sausages came from the blog ~ Vegan Dad.  His is a good recipe & it would be easy to tweak it if you wanted a different flavor, like for an Italian sausage or for a breakfast sausage.  I think these seitan sausages turn out way better than anything I can get over at Whole Foods.  They are so much cheaper when you make them yourself, you know exactly what is going inside your 'sausages' & they're pretty easy to make, too.  Very cool!


Seitan Sausage & Pasta ~ tossed with mushrooms, white beans & spinach


For this dish, I added the seitan sausages to wide pasta noodles & served it with mushrooms, white beans and spinach.  It was the last of the sausages, so this time I decided to keep it simple.  I just tossed it all with some Parmesan cheese, olive oil & spices.  After eating the dish, I realized the 'sausages' really need to have some sort of sauce or condiment on it, or to be in some sort of broth/soup, for the best over-all taste.  (at least for my taste buds)   The next time I made them, I served them with a spaghetti sauce & another time with an Alfredo sauce ~ then the dish/sausages were great.  Live & learn.  :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...