Mad Men Cocktail Party ~ Celebrating the 60's


March 25th is the day Season 5 of ~  Mad Men ~ finally arrives.  AMC has created a Mad Men ~ Online Party Planner for celebrating the start of the new season, as well as all things 60's.  Just to help get everybody in the Swinging 60's mood, after all, it has been awhile...  Food, cocktails, invitations, menu ideas, party playlist, what to wear, party games, decorating tips...way cool!  I've checked out all the nifty ideas they have & what fun, they really have captured the 60's party mood.  I remember Grandma Bunni making many of the things they have on their party menu.  I was happy to see some of the items are ones I have already blogged about, or ones that I have already taken photos of, but haven't posted yet.  Guess I like cooking retro food & mixing retro drinks ~ even when there isn't a party planned. :)   

So, here are some of the things I like to make at my house.  They have that original 1960's vibe & are still fun to eat & drink, even today.  Let's get this mid-60's party started!!!



Cocktails

What can I get you to drink?

Seven & Seven ~ I hope Don doesn't mind me borrowing one of his cocktail glasses...  This is one of my favorite 60's cocktails.  When I was a kid, I used to steal a sip of Grandma Bunni's when she wasn't looking.  Check out the fab Sally Draper Cocktail Cheat Sheet for the recipe.


Dirty Martini ~ I'm sure Roger must switch it up from time to time & goes for olives instead of onions.  Sometimes you just need to get down & dirty...


Bloody Mary ~ I like mine made with Sake instead of Vodka ~ maybe Joan would too, when she is in the mood for something exotic...


Brandy Alexander ~ I bet Trudy likes these...


Pink Squirrel ~ I can just hear Betty ordering one of these in her flirty, naughty-girl voice...
  

Manhattan ~ The perfect drink for when Peggy is at a business lunch. A man's cocktail, but with a hint of sweetness...



Old Fashioned Lemonade ~ You need to always have some ready, just in case Sally or Bobby are still wake & get thirsty.  Of course, you could spike it with Vodka or Limoncello, for an adult version of Lemonade ~ or maybe, use it as part of an impromptu Whiskey Sour. You never know when or where the mood will strike...



Mad Men Online Party Menu ~ 
These recipes really are the tastes of the 60's. It's all here, they have gathered all the dishes that will allow you to have a successful 60's cocktail party or swanky 60's dinner party. I had a lot of fun making these drinks & dishes, and I'm sure you will, too...

Hors d'oeuvres, anyone?

Chicken Liver Pâté, Pimento Cheese Spread, Deviled Eggs

Dinner is served...

Waldorf Salad & Sirloin Tips en Brochette


How sweet it is...

Ambrosia


I hope all these photos, from my kitchen, will inspire you to check out the AMC Mad Men Party Guide & to try making some of these great vintage cocktails & recipes yourself.  And don't forget the retro party ideas that will make your gathering memorable ~ you'll be the talk of 1965/66.  OK ~ Let's get this party started!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...