Making Zucchini Into 'Fettuccine Noodles' ~ my low carb stand-in for quick pasta dishes

Zucchini 'Fettuccine' with Mushrooms ~ I made 'fettuccine ribbons' from a medium zucchini, using my veggie peeler. I nuked the 'ribbons' for a minute, drained off the liquid, added some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, Parmesan cheese, canned mushrooms, Italian spices & then gave it all another quick turn in the microwave. It turned out really good.  It satisfied the pasta craving I was having & it was on the table in under 15 minutes.


When I'm feeling the need for pasta, but want to keep it low carb, I turn to zucchini.  I've tried those Tofu Shirataki Noodles & I am not a fan of them, at all.  To me they have a funny smell & really odd texture/taste, not to mention the cost.

But, I have found that zucchini, when peeled into thin strips using a veggie peeler & then microwaved, will give me a 'noodle' that will satisfy my pasta craving.  I've tried using both a veggie peeler & a mandolin slicer; I like using a veggie peeler much better.  It takes a little longer, but I can create a better 'fettuccine' ribbon that way.  That being said, I do prefer the mandolin slicer for making zucchini 'lasagna noodles' for my low carb Veggie Lasagna. 


Zucchini 'Fettuccine' Marinara with Mushrooms ~ I made 'fettuccine ribbons' from a medium zucchini, using my veggie peeler. I nuked the 'ribbons' for a minute, drained off the liquid, added some canned mushrooms, Trader Joe's Basil Marinara Sauce, Parmesan cheese & dried basil. I than gave it all another minute & a half in the microwave. Another 'pasta' dinner on the table in under 15 minutes. I will be making both of these meals again.

I love it when craving & inspiration collide & create something really tasty and healthy!  Add a little chicken or maybe Trader Joe's Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Sausages & it just keeps getting better.  No guilt with these meals, at all.  :)


                         
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...